Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Source control will save you life one day

The light maps in IdleTime are extremely bad. In fact I'm not even sure you could call them light maps. Basically they just store the shadows. The UV densaty is a joke, there is no ambient occlusion, no bounce lighting, no nothing.

So whats this got to do with source control? Looking at the above screen shot I decided that I should fix the light maps. Long story short I can't find the code for the light mapper.
Obviously if you have more then one coder on a project source control makes total sence. But why use source control when there is only one programmer?

Lesson #3 for old me:
Always use source control. A part from the obvious, history. Having history will make your code a lot cleaner. I found that when making a big change to the code I would just comment out the old code and add the new code in. This gets very messy very fast. I've been using Perforce at home, they have a 2 (maybe 3) user version for free.


1 comment:

  1. This is a good tip dude. I've got a project I've been working on which ended up getting a bit bigger in scope that I first thought. Now my "source control history" consists of about 80 zip files of the project. :\

    I didn't know P4 offered free licenses. Will check that out.

    ReplyDelete